Upcoming Changes - Role Abilities
After some more play testing, I realized that there needed to be more that separates how characters play. The fantasy and space hacks include rules and examples for species special abilities. That helps, but it isn't quite enough. A human rogue and human fighter with the same skills played exactly the same. After more consideration, I realized what was missing is role specific abilities. So, that is what is coming, once I figure out a good way to convey the rule. Here is what I have so far, so if you're playing the game, feel free to introduce this for your characters.
Role Ability: Each role has a unique ability. For example, a cleric ability could be to turn undead. A pilot ability could be an expert navigator. All ability rolls are 2d6 unless a skill applies. Some sample benefits which the special ability provides include:
- Can re-roll at disadvantage if initial roll fails
- Rolls succeed on a 4, 5, or 6
- Grants advantage
- Provides extra HP
With this change, a human rogue and a human fighter now play differently. The role ability will separate them. There is also incentive to select skills which help their special ability. Here are some example abilities I'm working on for the Fantasy and Space hacks:
Fantasy Role Abilities:
- Fighter: Tactical Fighter - Take one action to study the enemy. The next attack action succeeds on a 4, 5 or 6.
- Rogue: Backstabber - A successful attack immediately after a successful hide/sneak test does +1 damage.
Space Role Abilities:
- Smuggler: Fast Talker - Attempts to con or bribe someone succeed on a 4, 5, or 6.
- Bounty Hunter: Marksman - Take one action to prepare the shot. The next shot succeeds on a 4, 5 or 6.
In the case of the rogue, it would be beneficial to take the hide/sneak skill so that the character is more likely to have a successful hide/sneak test to get a backstab in. In the case of the smuggler, taking a Con, Persuasion, or Bribe skill would make it more likely they will convince that NPC they have no hidden cargo holds.
I'm still trying to come up with more sound examples and trying to address the layout issues adding more content causes. Once that is done, updated versions of the Core, Space, and Fantasy rules will be available - soon!
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.